The Pharmaceutical Executive magazine published its annual ranking of the Top 50 Pharma Companies Worldwide based on sales earlier this month. New York -based Pfizer(PFE) was topped the list with a sales of over $47.4 billion in 2012.
The Top 50 Global Pharma Companies are listed in the tables below:
Click to enlarge
Source: Pharmaceutical Executive
Here are a few observations:
- Swiss drug giant Novartis(NVS) came in at number two with sales of over $45.0 billion.
- Among the top 10, five are European pharma companies including Novartis, Sanofi (SNY), Roche (RHHBY), GlaxoSmithkline(GSK), and Astrazeneca (AZN).
- Teva (TEVA) of Israel, the world’s largest generic maker had revenues of sales of over $17.0 billion and took the 11th spot. Teva’s growth so far has been astonishing and is now within striking distance of taking the 10th rank from Eli Lilly(LLY).
- For the first time, Indian pharma maker Ranbaxy Laboratories appears in this top 50 list. Ranbaxy is majority-owned by Daiichi Sankyo of Japan.
- For the first time in more than 50 years, year-on-year growth contracted in the U.S. market due to patent expiration of blockbusters such as Plavix, Seroquel, Lipitor, and Zyprexa and increased scrutiny of pricing by payers and regulatory approvals.
- Due to the ongoing recession, growth in Europe was flat.
- Fresenius is a leader in the dialysis market. Its Medical Care division trades on the NYSE under the ticker FMS.
Disclosure: No Positions
Also checkout: The Top 50 Global Pharma Companies 2014
Download: The Top 50 Global Pharma Companies 2012 (in pdf)